Thursday, August 23, 2012

Losing Weight


Obesity is a real problem that is often hard to resolve for many people. I was personally dealt with obesity through much of my childhood. My parents always nagged me about my weight and my eating habits because they were really concerned. I was always carefree and ate whatever I wanted, however much I wanted. When my parents confronted me about it I was always carefree and threw the occasional fits to show my annoyance. Finally by High School, all the junk accumulated into my 253 pound frame and that’s when I decided to do something about it. Through trial and error and encouragement of my friends, I’ve since lost 90 pounds and put on some muscle.

There are many commercials that claim they can help you lose weight fast but I’ve found that the best way to lose weight is to do it gradually because it requires lifestyle changes. When I first started I did not go to the gym everyday nor did I eat all the right things. Instead I started jogging 2-3 times a week and just ate less of the same food. In retrospect, I believe I would have given up somewhere down the line had I try to make a huge change in my diet and exercise immediately.

For those who are looking to lose weight, I suggest the following:

-Aerobic exercises scheduled few times a week, at least 30 minutes each session. Find something fun you like to do. Personally, I absolutely hated jogging but I enjoyed swimming and biking. Maybe twice or three times a week, find a couple buddies and drag them along, it’s a lot more fun with friends. FOLLOW your schedule once you made it.
-You don’t have to start following crazy strict diet where each meal looks like prison food. Start by eating less. Think about how much you usually eat in a day and cut that amount by 1/3. Be conscious of how much you are eating every day.
- Now that you know how much you should be eating a day, try to limit the time between meals. Instead of eating 3 big meals, split the food into 5 to 6 meals eaten every 3 hours or so. You shouldn’t stuff yourself every meal until you’re full. Just eat enough that you are no longer hungry.
-Eat fruits and drink lots and lots of water. Now that you are eating less you may feel hungry every once a while. Drink lots of water throughout the day and eat some fruits. Water will help curb hunger plus it is a vital substance to every process in the body.

                                                        High school: I am to the right
                                                                 Couple months ago

0 comments:

Post a Comment